header

Contact Roy James 831468 or email roy.james1536@gmail.com

Are you interested in gardening, growing your own fruit and vegetables and meeting up to chat with like-minded neighbours?

===10th December 2019===
Good evening everyone,
Just a reminder that our first Gardening Group winter talk is on Wednesday 11th of December at 7:30pm in the village hall.
This is with Steve Whitehead and the talk is entitled “The History and Development of Colby Estate”
The charge is £2 per person, and you don’t have to be a gardening club member, so please come along.
All profits go to gardening group funds.
Many thanks for attending the pruning session at Ruel Wall last Saturday.
Thanks to Carolyn and Mike for hosting the event, and to Marie for the tuition.
For those of you who couldn’t make the session, or anyone who needs help with pruning or gardening, then Marie’s email address and mobile number is as follows:
blue.chakra33@yahoo.com
07479660520.
The Wildlife and Gardening Group Quiz night to be held at Temple Bar Amroth, has now been changed to the 27th of January (Monday) at 8pm.
The Quiz night is open to Wildlife and Gardening Group members, plus anyone else that would like to come along. Please get there early to get your seat.
If people would like to have a meal or soup beforehand, please look at the Menu online/ Facebook?
The Quiz will start at 8pm so please get there in good time to have your meal.
https://m.facebook.com/Temple-Bar-Amroth-711727365661945/…/…
Also, please don’t forget that Dee is holding a craft class on the 18th of December between 11am to 3pm and at the Village Hall.
This will focus on using natural materials to create Christmas decorations.
See previous email of December 3rd for more details.
Kind regards,
Roy

===6th December 2019===
At 7:30pm on the 11th of December, Steve Whitehead is giving us a talk entitled “The History and Development of Colby Estate” and at the Village Hall.
Please make every effort to attend if possible?
As far as our winter program of speakers. Dawn has kindly produced program of events (postcard size), for each of us to stick on our fridge etc, along with advertising notices for distribution around our community.
Well done Dawn, good job.
Thanks to everyone who has paid their £10 annual membership.
Finally, please see a message from Dee below, which includes the Quiz night information, again many thanks to Dee for all her hard work.
Please note that the quiz date may change.
Also, I have booked the Temple Bar for the Gardening and Wildlife Quiz night for the 27th January. Hope that is ok. 8pm start. If anyone would like to order food i think you can get a menu online and contact them with your choice to order before the night.
Hope all well
Dee

Report November 2019

A year ago we started our Gardening Group. The main objective was to learn more about growing vegetables, fruit trees, flowers, creating a healthy vibrant garden.
To be honest, I had very little knowledge of gardening, having never taken much notice in the past, much to my regret now, since my late father was an accomplished gardener. Luckily, others within our Gardening Group have gardening experience and are only too willing to share their knowledge. This theme of helping each other has been the main focus this year.
At the outset, the Gardening Group meeting decided they didn’t wish to create a
gardening club, believing they didn’t want anything formal, and this has remained their opinion up to the present date.
During this last year we have visited a number of gardens, and had a few guest speakers at the village hall, along with the odd practical training session.
As far as the garden visits are concerned, we’ve always included a walk and talk session, which has made the visits more interesting and given us all loads of ideas.
Additionally, we’ve had a few guest speakers at the village hall, providing talks on subjects such as; Meadow Flowers (Carmarthenshire Meadows Group),
Permaculture (Caz and Nimh), Question & Answer session with Paul Webb (Tavernspite Garden Centre).
Last summer we had three fund raising events: thanks to Polly, Roger, Jane, Ken and Pauline for opening up their gardens and raising money in aid of our Gardening Group. These funds, along with the membership fee, have facilitated the opportunity to invite a number of guest speakers in the coming months, all of whom I’m sure will be enjoyed by those who attend.

Future Garden Visits
Possible garden visits from May on wards and with a walk & talk sessions include the following gardens, dates, times, cost to follow:
Upton Castle
Picton Castle
Llwyngarreg
Botanical Garden
Abergwili {Bishops Palace} .
Aberglasney
Stackpole walled Garden
Open Gardens – National Garden Scheme.
If you’ve any further places to visits and or preferences, then please let me know by email.
Gardening Talks at Village Hall {Wednesday 7:30pm}
Paul and Liz Oneill {Owners Llwyngarreg}, January 29th, subject; The Last Cow.
Piers Lunt {Abergwili Bishops Palace}, February 26th, subject;  Tywi project.
Joseph Aitkin {Head Gardener Aberglasney}, March 11th, subject; To Be Agreed.
Huw Richards {HuwsNursery on YouTube}, April 8th, subject; My Journey, Method of Growing and the RHS. Huw will have two books on sale at this meeting.
Any Other Business
Dee has offered to give us a talk on Bees as Pollinators, date to discuss at a later date, suggest the month of May.
Marie from Greenacre is able to provide practical training with regard to pruning fruit trees. if you are interested in having this training, then can you please email me, it would be on a Saturday morning. The cost to us would be £25 for up to two hours and over two hours £45.
Narberth Big Plant Sale 2nd May 2020.
Fund Raising Quiz for Wildlife and Gardening Group, Dee will arrange for a Monday evening in January at the Temple Bar.
Ted Talks which is about Plant Science (how plants communicate with pollinators etc), see links below.

Gardening Group – November Meeting 2018

The inaugural meeting of our Gardening Group took place at Llanteg Village Hall (LVH) on the 17th of October 2018, many thanks for the encouraging support and for the suggestions regarding the way forward.

At the meeting it was decided we would not form a committee at this stage, and that the ethos of the group was to share knowledge, along with plants and seeds. Thanks also to John Davies for his helpful advice on the night.

On the 19th of November, we enjoyed a very informative walk and talk session around Greenacre Market Garden, many thanks to Leah and Sola and family for arranging this and answering our many questions.

At our November meeting, which took place at the LVH on the 21st, we enjoyed a very interesting question and answer session thanks to Paul Webb from Tavernspite Garden Centre.

garden club poster october

First Meeting 17th October 2018 Update
Firstly many thanks to you all (18) for attending our first meeting last Wednesday and apologies for some of the content and for keeping you so long.
I hope you found some of what was said to be of use to you, although there are concerns regarding the use of the chemicals mentioned, so please read instructions and use personal protective equipment when necessary. 
 
I appreciate that some of you would prefer to go ahead with forming a management committee, but as mentioned previously I suggest we have a few more meetings before deciding this, after all we don’t want to frighten people away.
Since at the outset, some of you wanted a club that shared ideas, produce, plants and seeds, and not to get bogged down with a bureaucratic organisation!
 
If you know of anyone outside our immediate area who would like to come along to our next meeting, then they are welcome.
 

Gardening Group Beginnings 2018

We are planning informal monthly get-togethers where we can share tips, ideas and maybe swop plants over a cuppa. To be held monthly in Llanteg Hall and are for amateurs — so do not think you have to be knowledgeable to come along — all you need is to be interested!

If you would like to come along, become involved or know more please contact Roy James 831468 or email roy.james1536@gmail.com

Initial meet up was at the Coffee Morning in Llanteg Hall Friday 31st Aug. 10.30am to gauge interest. 

IMG_20180831_110840

There was a great turnout at the Coffee Morning today with almost 30 people popping in – though a few might have turned up for info on the proposed new Gardening Club!

===New Llanteg Gardening Group to be set up===
After a really good turn-out at Llanteg’s Coffee Morning, plus messages from those who could not attend, we have around twenty people who showed an interest so have decided to proceed and set up a Gardening Group.
The premise is to share ideas and information, be it on fruit, vegetables and flowers or on other gardening topics such as how to build raised beds or set up a polytunnel.  It does not matter if you have a large or small garden, or no garden a all.  Maybe you just do tubs or have houseplants.
Roy commented that he is also a novice but interested in learning and finding out more. We could possible have some talks and maybe even visits later on.
We can decide the format of our meetings as we go along.
It will be good to get-together to share ideas and maybe produce and seeds etc.  We are open to ideas and suggestions.
The first meeting is planned for Llanteg Hall on Wednesday 17th October at 7.30pm. 
We do not plan to have a formal committee etc but will have to ask for a small contribution each meeting to cover hall rental – this will probably be £1 or less depending on how many attend.

There is also a blog at – https://llanteggardening.blogspot.com/ and a ‘Llanteg Community Gardening Group’ Facebook page.